What does it takes to transform that twinkle in someone's eye into a fully realized playable character like Borderlands 2's Salvador the Gunzerker?
To find out more about that process, I spoke with some of the folks responsible for his inception and realization...
Because the final day of PAX East 2012 happened to coincide with Easter, we thought we'd have some fun by hiding some Gearbox Easter Eggs around the convention. Each egg contained a slip of paper with a code that, when redeemed on the listed web site, entered that person into a contest to get their name of choice in either Aliens: Colonial Marines or Borderlands 2 as an easter egg.
Today, we're announcing the winners along with a look at how they'll appear in-game:
- Aliens: Colonial Marines Grand Prize Winner - James B. of Texas ("Civ. Crow")
- Borderlands 2 Grand Prize Winner - Christopher M. of New York ("Johnny Waffles")
James and Christopher will also be receiving a free copy of the game they appear in, and our five runner-ups -- Edwin C., Kevin T., Paul S., Tony D. and Andrew C. -- will receive their choice of Aliens: Colonial Marines or Borderlands 2 upon release.
With "In the Box" we'll be spotlighting those hard-working individuals to learn more about what they do, how they got to be where they are, and what advice they have for those looking to follow in their footsteps.
Today we talk with Brad Sierzega who, as a Multiplayer Level Designer on Aliens: Colonial Marines, helped create the multiplayer maps previewed at PAX East and E3 2012. Check it out!
Now that E3 has come to a close, we've rounded up more of the new Borderlands 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines previews that emerged from the show:
- 10 New Reasons From E3 to Return to "Borderlands 2"
- We were lucky enough to check the game out again at E3, and just like last time, we were not disappointed.
- Hands-on with 'Aliens: Colonial Marines'
- Aliens: Colonial Marines manages to do something only a handful of shooters have accomplished: instilling fear and dread.
- 'Borderlands 2': Get to know new hunter Zero
- Zero's secret weapon is his mêlée ability, an interesting choice when players consider the first-person shooter is all about peppering enemies with millions of bullets.
- Grab your Pulse Rifle, Marine - Aliens: Colonial Marines Video
- Grab a pulse rifle or smart gun, Xenomorphs are detected. Check out the multi-player gameplay for the newest Aliens game - Aliens: Colonial Marines.
- Borderlands 2's Robotic Assassin Is Unsurprisingly Awesome
- There are tons of triple-A games out on the E3 show floor this year, but I’m anticipating Borderlands 2 more than any other title I’ve seen here. September can’t come soon enough.
- E3 2012 Hands-On – Aliens: Colonial Marines
- The kill animations that Gearbox has created for Aliens: Colonial Marines are fun, fear inducing and perfectly suited to the universe they are working with.
As the third and final day of E3 2012 drew to a close, we started running out of space to display our awards and nominations. Here's the latest batch of Aliens: Colonail Marines and Borderlands 2 previews:
- Borderlands 2 Hands-On
- Today I had the opportunity to play the demo for Borderlands 2 and it surpassed my already high expectations … From what I played today I believe that it will be one of the best shooters we will see this year.
- Hands-On with Aliens: Colonial Marines Multiplayer, We Go Head to Head with Gearbox
- The experience was a highlight of the day for me.
- Borderlands 2's Horse Cannon Kicks Like a Mule, and I Want You to Have the One I Used
- There was one, and only one, gun I wanted: the Jakobs Horse Cannon [and] I'm going to give away my claim to one lucky PC gamer.
- Aliens: Colonial Marines E3 2012 Live Chat Replay
- Senior Producer Brian Burleson answers fan questions about Aliens: Colonial Marines and offers a glimpse at some new footage.
- Borderlands 2 Preview: Going Commando
- It's no secret that I love loot-centric games. Combine that with my love for first-person shooters (and the fact that I enjoyed the first game), and it seems pretty clear I'd adore Borderlands 2. Having just played it for the first time moments ago, I can say my assumptions were right -- it's every bit as badass as I'd hoped.
- Aliens: Colonial Marines Hands On
- One thing that shone through the entire experience was, well, its Aliens-ness. The game feels, looks, and sounds like it should; like the movies you know and love. Aliens are genuinely terrifying, and even the reassuringly iconic sound of the pulse rifle was unable to settle my nerves once i saw the tail of an Alien skittering up the side of a building.
The latest on Aliens: Colonial Marines and Borderlands 2, straight from E3:
- Aliens: Colonial Marines Hands-On Preview
- New at E3 is the outdoor map, Origin … a much more open map than the previously revealed environment.
- Borderlands 2: Zer0 Gameplay Video
- Gearbox's Randy Pitchford narrates a loot-filled Walkthrough of Borderlands 2 and debuts the sniper class character, Zer0.
- Aliens: Colonial Marines Preview
- Lurking from above and skittering along the walls, the developers methodically stalked their human prey, waiting to pounce at the opportune moment. The drastically different style of gameplay was fascinating, and seeing it from the other side had me dying to get some hands-on time with the aliens.
- In Praise of Cartoon Violence: Borderlands 2 at E3 2012
- blue skyscrapers, bright red and yellow mechs looming large, and changing pace from the first game’s endless deserts. All the while, the game’s new arch-villain, Handsome Jack, taunts the player with snarky banter.
- Aliens: Colonial Marines E3 2012 Gameplay Video
- The scary world of Aliens comes back alive in Aliens: Colonial Marine. Watch Gearbox Software's Randy Pitchford tell Kevin Pereira all about how the story game together. Check it out in our Aliens: Colonial Marine E3 2012 gameplay demo video.
- Hands On - Exploring Borderlands 2
- In 2K'S E3 hands-on session with Borderlands 2, the returning co-op gameplay was very much in demand. The assembled journalists were able to play new characters Zer0 (yes, with a zero) the Assassin, and Axon the Commando, and this session specifically showcased a new multi-stage, objective-based co-op.
The first day of E3 2012 has come to a close, with tons of new Borderlands 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines previews beginning to make the rounds. Here's a glimpse of the action:
- Borderlands 2 E3 Gameplay Demo
- Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford joins Kevin Pereira and Morgan Webb to discuss the sequel to Borderlands in this world premiere Borderlands 2 E3 2012 gameplay demo video.
- Wii U - Aliens: Colonial Marines Developer Interview
- Learn more about the unique and exciting features coming in the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines.
- Borderlands 2 Preview: Playing the Assassin
- The Assassin felt like the most skill-based of Borderlands 2’s classes, because precision shooting had such a dramatic impact. By comparison, the Gunzerker, who can dual-wield weapons, and the Commando, who can drop down automated turrets, were more about widespread damage output and support.
- #SegaE3 - Aliens: Colonial Marines
- The demo features four loadouts to dispatch the Alien threat, including the Pump Shotgun, Pulse Rifle, and Assault Rifle – all with their own underbarrel options.
- Borderlands 2 in PlayStation Home
- PlayStation 3 owners can visit the E3 Booth in Home this week to get more information on Borderlands 2, complete a photo quest with Salvador and Maya, and earn wearable costumes for Zer0 and Maya!
- Aliens: Colonial Marines Video Interview
- New multiplayer details and footage, including your first glimpse of an all-new multiplayer map!
E3 2012 is upon us, and Gearbox Software will be there with Aliens: Colonial Marines and Borderlands 2!
Members of the press will be going hands-on with both games and experiencing new never-before-seen content, so be on the look out for new details and previews all week!
Also, be sure to keep an eye on the Gearbox Software Twitter -- we'll be updating with the latest happenings and pictures straight from the show!