Toby the Destroyer
Today at PlayStation Experience 2015, Randy Pitchford jumped on stage to give attendees a first look at one of the oddest, cutest, and most fearsome playable heroes you've yet to see in game: Toby -- an adorable penguin in a hulking mech suit!
You'll be able to go hands on with Toby for the first time during Battleborn's upcoming open beta on PlayStation 4!
Open Beta Coming in 2016
Battleborn's Open Beta is coming next year to PlayStation 4, PC, and Xbox One -- and PlayStation 4 players will receive early access to the beta!
We also announced that PlayStation 4 Open Beta testers will receive a bonus 26th Battleborn hero for free as special thank you for participating. This hero will be free (when it releases sometime after Battleborn launches on May 3, 2016) to PlayStation 4 users who participated in the test. Note that to qualify for the reward, PS4 players will need to log in to the purchased version of Battleborn using the same SHiFT account they played with during the Open Beta!
The 26th character will not be exclusive to PlayStation 4, but will be free to PS4 Open Beta testers.
You can find even more info on today's PlayStation Experience announcements over on the official Battleborn blog.
Battleborn's Closed Technical Tests kick off this Thursday, October 29! Get an early taste of the action with our Closed Technical Test preview stream on Tuesday, October 27 at 12 PM PT at http://twitch.tv/battleborngame and http://twitch.tv/gearboxsoftware.com.
Or tune in directly to our featured streamers:
Want to help test? There's still time to sign up! Click here to RSVP.
Battleborn releases February 9, 2016 – that much you already knew – but a select group of gamers won’t have to wait very long to play Battleborn.
Starting on October 29 we will need your help conducting a series of Closed Technical Tests on PS4, XBOX ONE, and PC to balance characters, stress servers, squash bugs, and test the online infrastructure.
If you’re interested in helping us test out Battleborn and want to be one of the first people in the world to get their hands on this new breed of first-person shooters, register by going to http://rsvp.battleborn.com/.
NOTE ABOUT PARTICIPATION: We want you to play our game as much as you do…but there are only so many seats at this party. In other words, registering does not guarantee participation. Please keep in mind that participants are selected on a number of criteria based on the needs for testing, including (but not limited to) platform preference, location, availability, and acceptance of the NDA. The Closed Technical Test file download will require between 4GB to 8GB of space depending on your gaming platform.
PC RECOMMENDED SPEC LIST FOR BATTLEBORN CLOSED TECHNICAL TESTS: For all you PC players out there, your system should meet these recommended PC specs for the Closed Technical Test…
- OS: Windows 7 x64-Bit or Later
- Processor: Intel Core2 Extreme CPU Q6850/ AMD A8-3870k (Quad Core CPU’s)
- Memory: 6 GB
- Hard Disk Space: 10 GB free
- Video Memory: 2 GB
- Video Card: AMD HD 7700/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or better, PhysX support
- Sound: DirectX 11 Compliant
LEGAL NOTE: Before the test begins and you are allowed to download the game, you will be prompted to accept a non-disclosure agreement (NDA). This will happen during the sign-up process. By accepting the NDA you are agreeing that you will not…
- Capture gameplay footage;
- Post images;
- Publicly discuss the technical test on the internet.
We get it, you’re excited – but we’re still very much working on Battleborn and things will change before the game ships in February. Please be cool. Don’t record, stream or talk about the Closed Technical Test. Still want to talk about the game? Awesome – talk with us! We will have a private forum for technical test participants to provide feedback on their experiences and discuss the game privately with other test participants.
There's a lot of different ways to play Battleborn. And we're not just talking about the cooperative Story Mode and three competitive multiplayer modes.With 25 playable heroes that can be customized each match, we figured that number would be pretty huge -- and it turns out we couldn't even capture the depth of Battleborn in one infographic. But that didn't stop us from trying!
49.6 billion is a pretty big number. Let us help you put that into perspective:
- Battleborn has 49,576,665,600 different hero and team configurations. You’ve got 7,367,013,205 neighbors here on Earth (and counting) – according to worldometer.com. Doing some simple division, it means that everyone on the planet, and then some, could jump into a 5-player co-op game of Battleborn at the same time and each team could have a totally different experience. Think about it. If you’re playing those odds, you’ve got at least 7 billion potential Internet buddies….aaaand unfortunately a couple thousand Internet trolls. Statistically speaking.
- There are 1024 ways for you to play each base-level hero. You could pick five different variants of a Battleborn hero and ship them to every country on Earth (196) and still have enough alternate versions left to fill the roster of more than three full basketball teams. Nobody tell the NBA about Benedict’s vertical leap, OK?
- There are 25 playable heroes in Battleborn. That’s more than SIX times the number of playable characters that shipped with Borderlands, Borderlands 2, or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Hell, that’s more than all three Borderlands titles combined.
- For every fully-ranked Battleborn hero, there are 7,776 different ways you could play (that level progression loadout can change every single time you play). So, if you had a single 30-minute game session for each way to play, you would need to be Battleborn-ing for 162 days straight to see every permutation of just one character. You ask us, that’s a pretty awesome way to spend several months of your life.
- FUN NUMBER FACT: 111111111 x 111111111 = 12345678987654321. Because math. (Our resident math wizard threw this one in to make sure that you were still paying attention.)
More Battleborn news